> Blog > What to Do When Microwave Caught on Fire

What to Do When Microwave Caught on Fire

Microwave fire disasters are very common. Learn what to do next safely and how to clean it afterwards if you have a microwave caught on fire.

by Cody | 2019-07-07 Share:

Microwave ovens can do many things like cooking potatoes, popping popcorn, heating leftovers, etc. However, Microware, if used incorrectly, may catch on fire or even burn your house down. Microwave fire usually happens when you have paced some certain materials or foods that are not supposed to be put in a microwave. Some other obscure reasons will also cause fire in a microwave even nothing is in it.

Microwave Caught on Fire.png

Fire in microwave should be handled carefully to avoid future danger. Even a spark alone in microwave is very dangerous. In this article, you will learn what to do when microwave caught on fire and how to avoid such problems.

Two Different Fire

There are two different fire you may encounter while using microwave. You should act accordingly based on the situation you are in.

Food Caught on Fire in Microwave

Food can ignite inside the microwave during heating when you accidentally add metal or aluminum foil in the microwave. Residual oil or food remanent can also cause a fire. If you cook popcorn or chicken breast too long, the food may also catch fire inside the microwave.

If you notice a small fire in the microwave while heating, immediately unplug the power cord if it is safe to do so. Leave the door closed and wait for the fire to suffocate.

Appliance Fire

If your microwave catches fire when nothing is in it, that is more dangerous. Appliance fire happens mainly because of bad home wiring, especially in old houses. Broken microwave can also cause appliance fire.

If it happens, unplug the cord and outlet if it is safe to do so. If the fire is small, you may smother some baking soda to put it out. When appliance fire happens, it is recommended to have an electrician to check your wiring. You may need a new circuit if you see lights dim when microwave starts. If the appliance fire never reached the wall, it means your home wiring is fire and you just need to replace your microwave.

Fire in Microwave - How to Clean

If the food caught file in the microwave, usually, you need to try really hard to scrap the burnt food remnants off, but you don’t have to if you use this dryer sheet hack.

Step 1. Soak a few dryer sheets in the mixture of warm water and dish soap.

Step 2. Unplug the microwave. You should always unplug the power source when cleaning electric stove.

Step 3. Put the dryer sheets in the microwave. Place them on the burnt food remanent.

Step 4. Wait a few hours and then use dryer sheet to wipe the inside of your microwave.

A dryer sheet can soften the food remanent inside the microwave. Given time, you can effortlessly clean your microwave after food catches on fire. Actually, dryer sheets can do a lot more than that. Check other 7 dryer sheet hacks

Remove Smell of Smoke in Microwave

If your microwave caught fire because of burnt food, it leaves a strong odor of smoke. After cleaning it several times, you may still smell it inside. To get rid of the odor, you can place a cup of vinegar inside there. You can use half vinegar and half water or just using vinegar.

Remove Smoking Smell from MicroWave

Turn on the microwave for 5 minutes or so to make sure the water is boiled. Then you open it and you can see the bubbles holding steam, which will loosen up any crap inside the microwave. Now you can use a cloth to wipe off the inside of your microwave. If you don't want to do that, you can put a box of baking soda in here overnight. It will remove any other odor after you've wiped it down with a cloth. Baking soda can also be used to remove dog smell.

How to Prevent Fire in Microwave

Appliance fire is hard to prevent but it is very rare, but food fire is quite common and you can avoid from happening ahead of time.

1. Do not dry or sterilize any cloth materials in microwave ovens.

2. Clean the microwave oven regularly. As mentioned, food remanent may result in a fire when heating. Cleaning microwave regularly will reduce fire potential.

3. Never use paper products in microwave ovens. A paper product such as paper launch bag, paper towels, and takeout container, are easy to burn in the microwave. So don’t microwave paper products unless the materials are specifically approved for microwave use.

4. Never heat flammable or combustible liquids like cooking oils in the microwave because it will lead to fire or even explosion. Actually, heating any liquid including water in the microwave is dangerous if you overheat it. Even Overheated water turns into steam that can penetrate your skin and can give you 3rd-degree burns instantly.

5. Do not overheat food than the manufacturer's instructions. As mentioned, overheating of popcorn has a fire risk.

6. Never use metal materials like a metal bowl or aluminum foil in microwave ovens. As you know metals are never safe to heat in a microwave.

7. Do not microwave grapes and raisins. If you microwave grapes, you’ll see a flash of sparks and white-hot plasma. If you microwave raisins, you will see they start to smoke and catch on fire.

That’s everything you need to know about microwave catching on fire. When you buy a new microwave, it is always recommended to read the manufacturer's guide and safety precautions before using it. It is also important to keep an eye on the microwave when it is on.

Related Readings for Reference

• 5 Best Blender under $100 in 2019

• How to Clean Burnt Stains on Glass Stove Top with 6 Simple Steps

• How to Clean Dryer Lint by Yourself Thoroughly

Join Our Crowdfunding to
Get Aicool Smart Trash Can at 20% OFF

We use cookies to improve content and ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn more about our privacy policy.

I Accept