Laminate countertops are extremely popular and versatile in a lot of homes and apartments. Many people opt for this countertop material because laminate is affordable and just as durable as many more expensive countertops. Besides, these countertops come in a variety of different finishes, such as matte, gloss, sparkle, or dimensional. And laminate countertops are quite easy to clean. In this article, we show you 3 methods to clean laminate countertops easily to keep your laminate countertop looking good for a long time.
For daily cleaning, use a soft cloth to wipe the laminate countertops’ surface with a mild liquid detergent. Use a soft toothbrush to clean seams or metal edges. Rinse with water and dry with a cloth towel. Here are 2 mild liquid detergents that you can use.
• Dish soap: To clean laminate countertops, squeeze some mild dishwashing liquid to the surface. You can squeeze the dishwashing liquid directly on the surface or mix it with water, then immerse the sponge in the solution and rub it on the surface.
• White vinegar and water: You can also use white vinegar and aqueous solution to clean laminate countertops. Mix equal parts white vinegar and water together and apply to the surface.
TIP : Do not use too much water to wipe the surface, especially near the seams of the laminate, as it will permeate and cause the laminate to expand and break. Do not use acidic cleaners, such as bleach, bath and tile cleaners, as it will etch or permanently discolor the laminate.
Stubborn stains such as coffee, tea or juice on countertops can be frustrating, but it is easy to remove them with baking soda and water mixture. Baking soda is a natural cleaner that is widely used in kitchen, such as clean burnt stains on glass stove top.
Step 1: Mix a 3:1 ratio of baking soda and water mixture and apply it to the stains. Leave the paste sit for five minutes. For very stubborn stains, leave the paste on the stain overnight.
Step 2: Wipe the stain with a wet cotton cloth. Baking soda can be corrosive, so you should not rub the mixture onto the laminate countertops surface. Instead, wipe the stain with a damp cloth. This will prevent scratching or damaging to the surface and remove the mixture of baking soda and water mixture.
Step 3: After rinsing the detergent, dry the surface with a clean dry cotton cloth or towel.
If you want to make your laminate countertops shine after cleaning, you can use glass cleaner or car wax.
• Glass cleaner: If your countertops have a high gloss, you may need to use a simple glass cleaner to remove any streaks or stains that may appear after normal cleaning. To do this, spray glass cleaner on the striped area and then wipe it with a paper towel or cotton cloth.
• Car wax: To make your countertops shiny, apply a mild car wax in a light layer. This will take out the fading color and leave a protective coating that keeps the laminate in top condition at all times.
One Related Article You May Need: How to Clean Granite Countertops with 4 Steps
As you can see, cleaning laminate countertops is easy. But if you don’t take care of the laminate countertops correctly, they can be damaged and the damage will spread rapidly. The layer on top of the countertop protects the vulnerable layers underneath. Once the surface is damaged and the area underexposed, the countertops will start to deteriorate. So you need to know more than how to clean laminate countertops. Knowing how to maintain the laminate countertops is also necessary.
• Wipe up spills immediately. It is the best way to keep laminate countertops clean. The longer they sit, the harder to clean.
• Always use a cutting board. Do not use laminate countertops as a cutting board even the smallest of jobs. Sharp knives can scratch the surfaces of laminate countertops and cause permanent damage.
• Don’t push heavy objects, such as clay pots or small appliances, across the surface of the laminate countertops. These can lead to small scratches. Not only does this make the laminate look old, but it also makes dirt, grease, and grime build up in those crevices.
• Avoid placing hot objects directly on the surfaces. Plates or pans removed from the oven or stove should not be placed directly on the surface. These can leave permanent burn marks. So use a trivet or insulated hot pad to protect the surface from direct heat.
• Don’t clean laminate countertops with powdered cleaners, scouring pads, steel wool or scrub brushes, because they can scratch the surfaces.
With proper cleaning, you can keep your laminate countertops cleaning and shining for a long time. By the way, if you want to keep your kitchen cleaner and smarter, you can add a smart trash can to your kitchen.