> Blog > Being Aware of Carbon Monoxide Symptoms in House Could Save Life

Being Aware of Carbon Monoxide Symptoms in House Could Save Life

Being aware of carbon monoxide symptoms in house could save your life. The article lists the carbon monoxide symptoms in house and also tells you the causes and prevention of carbon monoxide gas poisoning.

by Joy | 2019-07-11 Share:

Carbon monoxide poisoning is often called the silent killer as it is a potentially deadly disease caused by carbon monoxide gas that has no smell, no taste and no sound. According to the data from Centers for Disease, there were more than 400 cases per year in the United States, so your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning still remains high. Knowing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning could save your life. Today, we list the carbon monoxide symptoms in house, and also tell you the causes of carbon monoxide gas poisoning and the action you should take when suspecting the symptoms.

 Carbon Monoxide Symptoms in House

What Causes Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon monoxide is usually produced by the incomplete combustion of natural gas, gasoline, wood, propane, charcoal or liquefies petroleum gas. It always happens when your gas equipment has been incorrectly installed, improperly repaired or badly maintained. Also, it occurs if the flue, chimney or vent is blocked. Poorly ventilated appliances and engines, especially in enclosed spaces, may let carbon monoxide accumulate to dangerous levels. In short, unsafe gas appliances will produce a highly toxic carbon monoxide gas, which can lead to death as well as some serious long-term health problems like brain damage. 

 What Causes Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning will occur when you breathe in carbon monoxide gas and then it will replace the oxygen in the bloodstream. The tissues and cells of your body will die without oxygen. Even small amounts of the gas can cause this poisoning, and long term effects include paralysis and brain damage. Carbon monoxide poisoning is fatal to anyone, but people with chronic health conditions, as well as very young and very old people, are more vulnerable. Therefore, being aware of carbon monoxide symptoms in house is vital to all of us. Let’s see the symptoms below.

What are Carbon Monoxide Symptoms in House?

Most of carbon monoxide symptoms are similar to those of flu, food poisoning, viral infections and fatigue, but carbon monoxide poisoning won’t cause a high temperature. The longer you are exposed to carbon monoxide, the more severe the symptoms become. In general, within a few hours of first being exposed to carbon monoxide, you may experience:

· Headache

· Dizziness

· Nausea

· Stomach pain

If carbon monoxide builds up in the blood, the symptoms will get worse and may include:

· Loss of balance

· Confusion and drowsiness

· Fast breathing, rapid heartbeat or chest pain 

· Vision problems

· Epileptic seizures

· Lose consciousness

· Memory problems

TIP : People with heart disease or respiratory problems will be affected more quickly by carbon monoxide gas poisoning. Pregnant women, infants and children are also more likely to be infected. Pets also respond rapidly to this gas poisoning. If your pet suddenly falls ill or dies unexpectedly, and the death is unrelated to anything else like age or existing condition, carbon monoxide poisoning might be one of the possible causes.

What are Carbon Monoxide Symptoms in House

Carbon monoxide poisoning may occur suddenly or over a long period of time. Prolonged breathing low levels of carbon monoxide can lead to neurological symptoms like difficulty thinking or concentrating and frequent emotional changes. Remember to see a doctor if:

· You often have difficulty in breathing and have mild nausea and headaches when you are indoors

· You feel better when leaving the building, but worse when returning

· Other people you work or live with have the same symptoms as you do

Depending on the degree and length of exposure, carbon monoxide poisoning can eventually lead to:

· Serious heart problems (can possibly lead to life-threatening heart complications)

· Permanent brain damage

· Fetal death or abortion

· Death

What Should You Do If Someone Experiences Carbon Monoxide Symptoms in House?

The warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are very subtle, but this is a life-threatening medical emergency. If you or someone you work or live with may experience the carbon monoxide poisoning, take the following measures immediately:

Move to fresh air

· Turn off all devices or appliances

· Call your local poison control center

· Call 911 or ask someone to drive you to the nearest emergency room

Bottom Line:

Carbon monoxide can lead to severe tissue damage and even death, so knowing carbon monoxide symptoms in house and action you should take is very vital for us. Besides, you’d better install a carbon monoxide detector or alarm in your home to prevent illness or death from carbon monoxide exposure. Remember to inspect your alarm twice per year to make sure it can work properly. 

Related Readings for Reference

• Prepare for Power Outage [Checklist]

• How to Put out Grease Fire on Stove Efficiently

• What to Do When Microware Caught on Fire

Join Our Crowdfunding to
Get Aicool Smart Trash Can at 20% OFF

We use cookies to improve content and ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn more about our privacy policy.

I Accept